Sunday, April 25, 2010

SO YOU WANT TO BE KNOWN AS A CHRISTIAN NATION

The religious, evangelical right insists that the United States is a Christian nation. Well, if that’s what they want to be it looks like the Christian Right better get away from conservative ideology because, they’ve got to reconcile this from the New Testament in the book of Matthew (verses 35 trough 40).

35”For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, 36I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.'
37"Then the righteous will answer him, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? 38When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? 39When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?'
40"The King will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.'”

The Tea Party is one of the foremost voices for the Christian Nation concept. Keep in mind…there is no (really no) historical evidence that the founding fathers ever intended to create a government of any religion. Quite to the contrary, they wanted to have religious freedom. That would be a country beholden to no religion. But, these right wing extremist don’t like the responsibility for anyone other than themselves.

I was recently having dinner with my aunt to prides herself on her devout commitment to Christianity. However, she explained to the rest of the family how she didn’t like paying taxes that ended up paying other peoples debts (which by the way you don’t pay any tax money to pay anyone else’s debts, but, that’s another story). Well…if you’re a Christian nation you shouldn’t have any problem with that at all. You also shouldn’t have any objection to welfare for the poor, for children, for the unemployed, or for foreign nations who are drowning in poverty. And, I don’t know how they can be against health care for everyone. Not if you believe in the portion of Matthew I’ve referred to above.

“Whatever you did for the LEAST of these brothers of mine, you did for me!”
The Christian right needs to learn something before they decide they want to claim the United States as a Christian nation…they need to learn what actually is the RIGHT thing to do! (We’re talking to you Sarah Pallin).

No comments:

Post a Comment