Tuesday, December 1, 2009

WAR AND HONESTY

I don’t like our options in the war in Afghanistan. I, like most Americans, believed in what we did when we committed to engage the enemy after the events of September 11, 2001 in Afghanistan. However, that opportunity disintegrated when the last administration lead by the former weak excuse for a president, also with a vice president who can only be categorized as evil, along with a defense secretary who acted as any accomplice does in supporting a criminal who he serves, in this case the vice president. However, I believe the assessment given to our country this evening, December 1, 2009, was an honest message to what we as a nation face.

I am most interested in withdrawal. The fact that at least a date was set is the message I wanted to hear. Prior to this evening I told my friends I actually didn’t care if the president committed 100,000 troops if it meant that it was eventually going to lead to our withdrawal. So, I’ll give the President time to follow through on his strategy.

What I most appreciated most was his acknowledgement of my point of view. That I think there’s nothing to be served. My belief is that Afghani’s must fight for their destiny. I don’t think al Queda is likely to return to Afghanistan from Pakistan…because the nuke’s are in Pakistan. This President is a thoughtful guy. If I’d have ever believed, or been convinced, that Bush or Cheney were thoughtful I’d have give them some consideration. But, I like most of you always got the impression that I was never being told the truth. That whatever the reason for invading Iraqi after retaliating in Afghanistan was for a reason beyond the notion that Iraq was an imminent threat.

My preference is to pull out…but, the President convinced me to given him the consideration someone in authority deserves if they are approaching a problem thoughtfully.

I like it that he gave this fateful decision in the front of cadets at West Point. And, their reaction, after the address, leads me to believe they appreciated his approach too. They were intent, although some were clearly sleepy (not something anyone should hold against a college student especially one at a military academy). The picture I will be left with is one cadet who was reaching over a couple of lines of his classmate with his hand extended to shake the President’s hand…although this hand was trembling. I think that’s the way those of us who believe in this President are feeling. We are ready to follow him…but, we’re trembling at what may await us.

God’s speed Barack Obama.

No comments:

Post a Comment